Monday, October 19, 2009

Children of the corn... maze.

Yesterday was Chris' birthday. Per his request, for once, I did not make a fuss but rather let him quietly turn 37. Instead of a party or a special dinner we made plans to go to the Mckee Corn Maze with his U12 girls team. Can you say family man?
Every Year the maze is a different pattern discernible only from a aerial view. Throughout the 12 acres of maze are check points, eight in all, they are well hidden in dead ends and it takes about 2 full hours to find them all. You get a card upon entering and at each check point there is a small sign with a hole punch attached to it. Each one is unique so you can't cheat! As soon as everyone had arrived the girls took off into the maze. We were a few minutes behind them and it was a little eerie how quiet it was when we entered. I was sure we would know where 10 squealing, giggling girls were at all times but the corn muffles the noise. It really does make a great back drop for a horror movie.
Closer to the end of the month the folks at Mckee's really go all out and have a haunted corn maze. A few years back a bunch of my girlfriends and I got together to check it out. It has to be my favorite Halloween memory to date. We all met at the pub for a pint or two and by the time we got to the maze we were filled with nervous excitement. Foley could be heard mildly protesting "who talked me into this? I'm not sure this is such a good idea anymore" While the rest of us countered "it'll be fine, how bad can it be"? A full moon, strobe lights, teenagers dressed as psychopathic killers wielding chainsaws and 12 acres of corn to get lost in. You know you're not alone in there because you bore witness to the group entering before you but you can't hear their footfalls, you can only hear chainsaws accompanied by screams in the distance. Piece of cake.
That same year Chris and I did the un-haunted maze and felt like kids again. This time it was a little more difficult to run and play while pushing a stroller but we managed. Although Liam had no idea what was going on and got bored of the scenery very early on he loves being outdoors so we made it a grand game of peek-a-boo for him.
















The weather was perfect, a nice crisp autumn day. I don't normally feel this way about fall in North Carolina and neither does Chris which is why its likely in our future to head back north. But sometimes, on days like today, I love it here. I think about family and tradition and I look forward to coming back to this place in the years to come. I can see Liam running through the corn while we hide and jump out at him, I can imagine his squeals and giggles as he shakes his hands in the air and waddles off through the corn. While I'm sure there will be corn mazes where ever we end up, the nostalgia of the original will always make this one my favorite.


No comments:

Post a Comment