Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Forsaken

For those of you who don't know, I had my first day back to work yesterday. Not just any work either, I'm back at the restaurant! I must admit, I was a little nervous leaving the house. I know well, almost everyone that works there, I love my manager, a gal I hired back when I was in her position. And with the exception of a new point of sale computer system and few menu changes I know the job comfortably. So whats with the nerves? At first I thought it might be that I'm feeling as if I'm moving backwards. But after some real thought on the issue I ruled that out because this is a great job that fits my needs perfectly, with wonderful people. I have always been uncomfortable with putting Liam in daycare full time. I realize there is nothing wrong with daycare, in fact its great in facilitating socialization of 'only children', its just not for us. I am WAYYYY too type A to have my kid spend most of his waking hours with a non-family caregiver. We have had to make some lifestyle sacrifices for me to stay home full time but it has been worth it. Now with the holidays fast approaching Chris's work schedule is opening up which allows me to get out a few nights a week. I decided that it must be just normal first day jitters because once I got there, I felt right at home. Meanwhile, back at home, Liam was giving Chris a run for his money. I had put Liam down for a nap before I left which pleased Chris because he was thinking he would get a nap in himself. HAHAHAH. Silly man. Rule of life # 34: You can not plan sleep with a baby in the house. As soon as I left Liam woke up. Maybe it was the fact that he woke up and I was gone, maybe Chris was tired and slightly less than patient, whatever it was they fought each other for the next few hours. Li had little interest in play and ended up on all fours crying face down on the living room floor, a tactic he usually reserves for when he's told 'no'. It's the most pathetic thing you've ever seen and it takes every ounce of restraint I have to not scoop him up and give him whatever he's crying for. At dinner time Liam wouldn't eat, he cried so hard in his chair that he made himself choke and gag.

I'm not sure who was happier to see me by the time I got home (I was gone a total of 3 hours). However, I did get a very stern look from Liam as if to say "you have some explaining to do."

Today is day two at the restaurant. I'm thinking I should let Kris, my manager,know that its very likely we could see Chris and Liam outside the front doors with their faces pressed up against the glass.

1 comment:

  1. That's too funny..lol! Poor Chris..oh well, they'll get used to each other!

    ReplyDelete